Can someone hire a probate attorney if the person is living outside the state?

Can someone hire a probate attorney if the person is living outside the state?

Share This Post


If your loved one dies in another state, you may be wondering if you need to hire a probate lawyer to help settle their property. This can be even more difficult if you don’t live in that particular state. For example, parents move to another state to retire, but their adult children live in different parts of the country. What do these kids do when their parents die and leave a large real estate to settle in that state? Can you hire a probate attorney if you are living outside the state?

Yes, you can hire a probate attorney from outside the state. If you live outside the state, you can hire a probate lawyer in that state. The verification process has many steps and becomes complicated to navigate. To save time and money, it is advisable to hire a local representative early in the process. Losing a loved one is already a difficult time. Dealing with your property doesn’t have to be an additional tedious task.

Why should you hire a probate attorney if the person is living outside the state?

If a family member or close friend dies in another state, their property will probably have to go through a probate process. Probation is a legal procedure that takes place after someone dies. This process pays all creditors and ensures that all beneficiaries of the property. The process becomes complicated depending on the size of the property and the number of creditors and beneficiaries. 

If you don’t live in that state, there are several reasons why you may need to hire a probate lawyer. If you were named as the deceased personal representative, then a statutory agent was necessary. You can be a personal representative in two ways: as a specially appointed executor in a will or as an administrator applying to the court to represent your property.

When their loved ones died and left a will, they appointed a person to manage their property and their wealth. This person is called an executor. Any deceased could have appointed anyone as an executor; there is no residence requirement to be alone. 

If a loved one does not leave a will, her family or close friends can apply to the court for property management. This person is called an administrator and does not have to live in that state. However, out-of-state managers often need to assign or hire co-managers residing in that state. 

How can you hire a probate attorney if you live outside the state?

As with any lawyer, you need to conduct an investigation before hiring a probate lawyer. Find a lawyer who specializes in inheritance law. If you have special circumstances in real estate, for example, in a large asset or property split, look for a probate lawyer with experience in that particular subarea. This information will be found on the lawyer’s website. Also, read the lawyer reviews to get an idea of ​​what kind of lawyer they are and who they represent. 

Also, I would like to make sure that the lawyer of your choice has worked with a foreign client. The easiest way to find out is to ask a lawyer. Be sure to get details on how they deal with out-of-state customers and how often they communicate. 

Many lawyers are highly skilled and can meet you via a webcam if needed. Also, if you are expecting to appear in court in Nevada, ask them how often. If the probate process is complex and uncontested, you may be able to avoid appearing directly and go to Nevada. 

Finally, choose a lawyer that you feel comfortable with. This person will represent you remotely and act as your lawyer in court. You don’t want to hire someone who you don’t trust to do this for you.


After the entire property has been accounted for and the creditors, if any, have been paid, the verification process can be completed. At that point, the beneficiary splits the remaining assets. This process can be time-consuming and tedious. 

Problems can also arise if the creditor claims to pay. In addition, it is not uncommon for other relatives and close friends to oppose the split of real estate. Hiring a lawyer to guide you through these steps will ensure that the process will be done correctly and as quickly as possible.

More To Explore

Subscribe to our Newsletter